Sunday, October 7, 2012

Time: 1:46am

Awake as I lay on my bed with my eyes wide open. Can't fall asleep even after such an intense night of basketball. My body is weary but yet my mind is sober in its entirety. What a rebel.

I am shrinking. Everything and everyone seems so imposing now that I have become smaller, like a shirt straight out of the washer. Internship is the main culprit, jeopardising my sleep routine and exercise routine. Having shifts at 6am means I have to turn in practically at 8pm to clock in my 8 hours of sleep. And when I return home at 5pm, I would sleep all the way till the next morning and the cycle repeats. Which means I skip dinner every night. But considering the monstrous portions of breakfast and lunch I devour, the "shrinking" part still remains a mystery.

It really feels good to be appreciated. But this time, the recipients can be said to be highly appreciative. Although the rigours of the hospitality industry can be said to be thankless, it is all in the name of service. Although I didn't really do much, this family of six wrote a personal letter to me and another to the GM. To be honest, I was really shocked when he told me that. And guess what, along with the personal letter was a crisp $50 note enclosed. How generous. The sad thing is how this tip appears really significant as it represents 10% of my monthly allowance.

Three weeks into the real working life and I abhor it. Waking up at ungodly hours and feeling lethargic and fatigued every moment of the day is never a good feeling. We have been warned of how the working life could be so deceiving, but yet we always hated school. Don't we all regret that now?

No comments:

Post a Comment