Thursday, September 20, 2012


The last few days have been a rollercoaster ride, which ended at an all-time peak, with me falling sick. With the ever-irritating sore throat and flu plaguing my worrisome and pathetic resistance of my health, it was no wonder that it succumbed to sickness. Nevertheless, with a constant dose of tortilla chips with nacho cheese, and the barbecued chicken pizza from Pizza Hut earlier this morning, the current state of my health can be said to be deteriorating. Food > Health. What can you do when your home is stockpiled like a supermarket, with differing variations of crackers and chips, along with a full shelf of ice-cream waiting in the refrigerator?

Forgot to mention the two-day event I participated on 8th and 9th September. It involves the usual event logistics and set-up, except that this time it is on a ship docked on international waters. Ignore those stereotypes that mention that food on a ship is tasteless and bland. Every meal period onboard brings different variety of hot food items, along with the heap of bread and not-so-soft rolls that I gathered on these hunger escapades. There was even an soft-serve ice-cream machine! The work onboard could be backbreaking at times, but it was all well-worth the effort. Most of the time were simply spent on sleeping and eating actually. S$350 for less than 2 days of work, along with a complimentary taxi ride back home was lucrative at its best. 


Bob the Builder in the making.

On the 11th of September came the time when the Chinese flower crab turned 20 at long last. Although I played no part in the total "event" logistics and planning, I am glad it turned out okay. Not great but okay only. Because we all had to return home at such an early time. Had dinner at Wild Oats at Punggol. Despite the recommendations and revelations of this place, the food was simply disappointing, with pathetic serving portions that just does not justify the prices. It's like Astons at double the price. Hail Astons! For the second time this year, the Fried Penguins™ were able to join us again, although only two were able to turn up due to some major hiccups. *cough cough*








And at the twitch of an eye, I have arrived at the 8th day of my internship. Although it takes a great deal of memory work, which I lack at the current moment in time, I am relieved that it is all going along fine. An ultra-efficient memory is needed to remember guest names and table occupied, buffet item layouts for three different meal periods, the various procedures and layout presentations. My goldfish memory just isn't up to standard. The utterly dismal staff meals at the canteen is not much of a help either. I think I can whip up better meals with my eyes closed. Seriously speaking. And there's just this lingering thought that emerges in my head. As service providers for hospitality commercial businesses targeting the lucrative business and luxury market, I cannot understand why employees are paid such pathetic wages compared to other industries. I know that the current industry standard is set so as to comply and maintain the uniformity of the hospitality business, which in layman terms refers to not "spoiling the market". It is thus no wonder so many industry professionals decide to take the leap of faith and cross over to another sector. Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment