Thursday, January 30, 2014

Happy New Year.
Each word depicts a different exclusive annotation. 
Happy is subtle and objective. Why is happiness as such and not a given? We all want to be happy. And pursue happiness. But why do we instead compromise happiness in place for other beings or forms?
New is simple. Simplicity but altered unconditionally to what we term as a root of beginning. Do we forget the past and expect the future? It's the same every cycle, an arduous journey to give way to a future we want to see, and not led by naivety.
Year is a cycle. A preset period of hours, minutes and seconds we coin as a year. Why do we always create a fictitious gimmick to give rise to resolutions we always never seem to adhere by when they could be individually decided at any given time? 
Let these linger on every time you hear these three familiar words. 

Looks like my self-proclaimed philosophical side has surfaced after a hiatus.

Anyway, a quick update. I am still serving the nation, in my capacity as an officer cadet. Bound by regulations that I doubt anyone can fathom, elaboration is thus unnecessary. Having completed the service term and presented with the senior bar to mark the one-third milestone of my 9-month long journey, I have been posted to the Combat Services Support Command to further my training in the Logistics vocation. Looks like my days of chiong-sua(literally means conquering mountains) are over. Infantry was my best bet of being posted back to BMTC as a platoon commander, but as fate would not decree it, I have to be contented with my current placement so far. In addition, I believe that the in-depth planning experience I will undergo will definitely be beneficial in the long run as compared to combat tactics and platoon fighting. 

Chinese New Year, the long-awaited festival has finally come. Six days of freedom away from the cycle of regimentation and discipline is definitely going to make an impact on that ever-increasing weight and allowing me to attain cult status in the pig-related nicknames that have plagued me in recent years. But you know what, eating is in my blood. My grandpa was a duck seller back before I was born. Oh what I would give for a taste of his legendary tender teochew braised duck simmered in mouth-watering jus and exuding a heavenly aroma of herbs and spices, coupled with traditional white rice served in a clay pot. Nah enough of the incessant descriptions. 

Had a robust steamboat and teppanyaki home-cooked lunch with my family, with all members present. An uncommon sight nowadays given the busy schedules we all had. I shall spare you the apt descriptions and just have you know that my cholesterol level should be sky-high by now. Now I'm just waiting for the reunion dinner over at my uncle's. I will be back when I'm fat.   

No comments:

Post a Comment